March 8, 2008. My good friends Emily and Angela planned a special surprise for me...they took me to Green Lake for some rollerblading to celebrate "Stacey Day," a made-up holiday that I think I'll keep around for a while. They knew that's how much I love rollerblading.
And even though I was feeling sick yesterday, I had to go, and I'm so glad I did. While I was rollerblading, I noticed a bunch of little tiny ducklings waddling around with their mama duck. I watched as a group of bikers stopped for the ducks. And I thought, awesome, it's just like in the stories and songs and movies about ducks--you know, the ones you hear about and sing with your preschool friends. Sometimes I forget that there's a reason we sing, dance, and read about baby ducks and mama ducks....that these stories, songs and dances are based on a true-to-life-reality and not some imagined tale. But for me, I had to experience it in real life, or I forget that little, fuzzy, yellow ducks really DO follow their mama duck around with a very distinct waddle.. And I think that's what Alma meant when he said "that it was expedient that they should try the virtue of the word of God." (Alma 31:5). You can hear about the gospel. You can hear about the miracles Christ performed. You can hear about prison walls falling down, about God lighting the way with a touch of his finger, or about God delivering his people to the promised land and you might say, "Well, that's a nice story." Because until you try the virtue of the word of God for yourself, that's all it is.
King Benjamin's people understood how to do this. They pleaded for mercy. They wanted to apply the atoning blood of Christ. They wanted to be forgiven. And when they did this they were filled with a "peace of conscience because of the exceeding faith in Jesus Christ" (Mosiah 4:2-3)
I think that's why we're given so many opportunities to be active participants in the gospel plan. Without these reminders of the reality of the gospel for us, we would forget that the miracles and blessings are real.
No comments:
Post a Comment